Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dana village

The first thing I did in the morning was to check the pedals: still firm and good. I might get to Petra after all. The flags that I saw from the hotel window were fluttering in the right direction, it seemed I'll have the tailwind. But on the road it was a different situation. Cold wind was blowing from all directions except from behind. And so it stayed for the rest of the day. The ice on the road indicated it had been a freezing night. I crossed my first Wadi today - Wadi Hasa. It dropped form 1000m to 400m, then climbed to 1200m. At places sheltered from the wind it was warm enough to cycle in T-shirt, on exposed parts I cursed the fact that I didn't take a face mask. It was clear soon enough I couldn't get to Petra today.

Fortunately I was informed that I could get a bed in Dana village, some 20 km from Tafila - a big but hotel-less town. The final turn off to Dana village - a 7-family village dedicated to tourism - was fantastically steep downhill. There's going to be some pushing up tomorrow.

Day 2: 93km. Total 215km.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home